Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Films You May Have Missed

We've gotten a couple of DVDs that didn't do great in the theaters, but which were fabulous when I took them home on DVD.  How about trying one of these?:

While everyone was talking about District 9, for me Moon was the sci-fi film of the year.  It's a throwback to 70s science fiction, and reminded me of (former Glencoe resident) Bruce Dern's Silent Running.  Sam Rockwell plays a man whose multi-year shift working for a mining company on the moon is coming to an end.  Strange things start to happen.  Kevin Spacey voices the ship's helpful(?) robot and the film was creatively helmed by David Bowie's son Duncan Jones.  A simple, gentle sci-fi film.


I almost didn't watch Steven Soderbergh's The Informant! because I found the advertising campaign (and DVD cover) unbearably quirky.  I'm glad I did take it home because the movie really worked for me.  It's a very stylish and tongue-in-cheek look at Mark Whitacre's role as a whistler-blower who exposed Archer Daniels Midland's price-fixing in the early 1990s.  The first half of the movie is fun as it shows a man who loves playing spy, and just as I was wondering how it could sustain itself for another 45 minutes it heads in another direction, as we find out that Mark Whitacre is not exactly who we thought he was.  Creative casting of supporting roles really helps this movie stand out.


Both of these movies are creative, quirky and deserving of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We review all comments and reserve the right to remove comments based on: profanity, irrelevance, spam, personal attacks and anything else contrary to our guidelines.